Monday, October 8, 2018

Autumn bits



We are getting some leaf color this year—better than last year, but going fast. We had a lot of apples, but only on a couple of trees, and they are wormier, split, and mostly on the ground after some windy nights. I might have to buy some apples to make my yearly batch of apple butter, and maybe a pie or 2.

Last year we had a whole lot of dragonflies, none of which I was able to capture in a photo. This year we have had far too many grasshoppers. The chickens are very adept at catching them, even the chicks find them easy to catch and very tasty.

We also have a bumper crop of mushrooms this year, all different colors and sizes. If I only knew how to tell which ones were edible, I could put them to use. But I don't.

And those little chicks who escaped their crate to roost higher up were back in the crate the next night. Too cold without mom to keep them warm. Then 2 warmer nights got them back up on the pole. And two of the bigger chicks were also out of the crate last night, leaving more room for Big Roo who is still sleeping in there. That is one dedicated hen to stick with these little ones for so long!


No comments:

Post a Comment