Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Blackbirds and Swallows and the Jessie Project


The Red-winged Blackbirds made a grand entrance on February 15, declaring that spring is on the way. There were at least a dozen, including youngsters, at the bird feeder. That's the first time I've seen them since last fall.

And the Tree Swallows are back at the little red birdhouse, also the first time I have seen them this year. One of them is most likely the parent of the baby birds that died last year when the other parent who was feeding them was killed.

It makes me happy that mom or dad found a new mate.

The Jessie Project is still progressing slowly. Lots of sun and wind and temperature changes make for a very noisy house. Now that it is warming up a bit again, I am letting her out in the morning when it is still cold, convincing her to come in to eat (when I can) and then just leaving her out there for the rest of the day until the sun goes down.

Cyrus and I go out to visit, and play, and they (not I) do zoomies around the yard, and/or lay in the sun when there is some. I was keeping her entertained with her Tumbler toy (which is actually a Kong Wobbler, not Tumbler :) but just a few moments in the snow made it fill up with little snowballs to the point where the cookie bits don't come out anymore.

Fixable problem. And the snow is melting.

No comments:

Post a Comment