Big Coop Chapter 1
The new rooster was supposed to settle in before I moved the girls into the newly refinished big coop. (I know, it still needs some work!)
He didn't even stay for a full day. He spent the night doing a lot of pacing. Next day I opened the door, and he flew out, ran to the fence and jumped over before I even made it out the door. We saw and heard him around for a few days, but nothing since.
Big Coop Chapter 2
We moved the 5 ladies from the Omlet. They seemed happy enough for all the space with no muck underfoot. Not even in there for 24 hours, this blondie decided she would go for an adventure and flew or jumped the fence just like Duke the Roo.
Tim and Cyrus found her outside and we managed to guide her back home. It's been about 2 weeks and everybody has been behaving since.
Omlet Coop Chapter 2
It took me 2 days to clean out and move the Omlet before I could bring in the youngsters. No mayhem here, this was a successful move. Then our Goat/Chicken Lady friend offered us one of her youngsters that turned out to be a rooster. Surprisingly, there was also no mayhem adding him in with the 6 youngest ladies. He is a Buff Orpington, just like our Big Roo from a few years ago. A perfect breed (nice and calm), and a perfect age (young like his new friends). Once they settle down and grow up a bit we can combine the 2 flocks and make one big happy family. At least that's the plan.

Hope It all works out
ReplyDelete