Saturday, August 10, 2024

Fly into Dublin, ¡¡¡drive!!! to Galway


Our only mistake on the whole trip was in thinking that I could operate a vehicle on the wrong side of the road AND the car after an overnight flight where I couldn't sleep. My Irish angels must have been guiding me...

We went directly from the airport to Galway, about a 2 and a half hour drive. The motorways were easy. Even the roundabouts were easy after the first one by the airport. 

What was not easy, even at the end of the trip, was the narrow roads in towns with parked cars, and the little country roads barely big enough for one car.

We arrived in Galway in the height of tourist season AND on the weekend of the all Irish soccer match—Galway against Armagh. We couldn't tell if the crowd noise was louder from the tourists or the sports fans, until the night when Galway lost...by 1 point. It was an exciting time to be there.

The Galway Cathedral, on the River Corrib, looked beautiful and old to the tourist eye, but was only built in 1965. It is described on Wikipedia as "the last great stone cathedral to be built in Europe" and also a "squatting Frankenstein's monster". You decide.

We spent a good bit of time wandering the city in search of traditional Irish music. Tig Coili turned out to be our favorite, but it was hard to hear the music over the conversation in this tiny pub on a noisy weekend. Our new friend Chris, from Galway, was kind enough to buy us 2 pints!

Mostly beautiful weather had all kinds of people in the streets (some closed to traffic to keep people like me out. :)

Next stop—Donegal.

1 comment:

  1. I am a happy woman today. I recommend [zenith loan firm service] to every serious individual looking for loan, I was in need of a loan of (($25,000.00)) to invest and enlarge my farm business. to my surprise the loan was granted to without a waste of time, this is the only Loan lenders i can trust with, They are legit, I am a living testimony ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    Kindly Contact: zenithloanfirmservice[@gmail.com ]

    ReplyDelete