Sunday, September 1, 2024

Killamuck Abbeyleix


Cousins Tony and Rose still live in Dublin, which is where we visited them before. But since they fixed up the house where my grandmother and her siblings were born and raised, they have been spending plenty of time there in the summer.

The address is Killamuck, Abbeyleix. No street name or number necessary, because everyone knows everyone who lives there, even if they don't live there all the time.

I am still learning more about my Killamuck ancestors, but I do know that Teresa, my grandmother had several sisters. Mary, also known as Molly, had emigrated as well and lived in Elizabeth, NJ across the road from Granny. I met Agnes (Liam's mom), Lucy, and Tony's mom Frances when I was in Ireland in 1982. I know there was a Bridget and Kathleen, and maybe a few more that I am missing.

Kathleen was the one who bought the ticket to come to the US, but then decided to stay in Ireland with her new beau. Granny ended up taking her ticket and coming here at the age of 15. The ticket was purchased at Morrissey's which was a grocery store back in the day. 

After a fabulous lamb and roasted veg dinner made mostly by chef Tony, we headed there for a pint or 3 to celebrate a great time with the family.

The Queen Mary with old grocery items still on the shelves

The original house (behind the door) with new addition (left)

Looking down the street with my scary rental car in the driveway
Cousin Tony with his parents' bikes
The fireplace behind him was the old kitchen stove
The kitchen addition with Cousin Liam and his wife Mary
Chef Tony and his wife Rose making dinner
Roasted lamb with lots of roasted veg (not all in the pic)
The Husband, Donal (Geraldine's husband), and Tony
Cousin Geraldine (Tony's sister), me, Mary, and Rose

1 comment:

  1. What a great adventure you are having! This is Debbie Chaiken, formerly of Palmyra, NJ. Do you remember me? I am so glad I found your blog. It’s been so, so long since I’ve heard from you! If you’d like to reconnect, please text or call me at 215–2 84–8495. I’d love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete