Thursday, March 14, 2019

Our first triplets and twins with a story to tell



Blossom with twins
Susan with twins
Our first set of triplets was born yesterday. The 2 black ones look very much like their grandfather, Johnny Cash. Mom Rosie, is a white Saanen doe. Dad Ray Davies, also white, is a mix of white Saanen and David Bowie (the black Nubian with white floppy ears) and Johnny Cash who apparently provided the strongest genes, at least for these 2.

The Twins
Today The Husband told me as he left for work that Blossom had given birth to 2 kids, but was not caring for them very well.

I went out there around lunch time to find both kids outside in the sun crying for mom. Ms. Blossom was also outside, paying them no attention. My goat lady friend Karen suggested I separate them into a smaller room and try to convince mom to feed them. With no collar, Blossom was not easy to catch. After a half hour of chasing her, I finally caught her, put the collar on, and physically dragged her inside. No easy task for human vs. 120+ lb. goat.

So I corralled her in the milking room, and bribed her with some raisins and sweet feed to stand still long enough for them to milk from her.

She was not happy about it.

A few hours later, The Husband comes home from work early and asks about the little ones. He goes out to see for himself, and comes back in to say "I think I found the problem".

He got the names confused. They weren't Blossom's kids at all, they were Susan's. This is her second year with kids. Last year she gave us Ray Davies, our current sire, and she was a very good mom. But now that most of the day has passed, when I lock up Ms. Susan with her kids, everyone is confused.

Not half as confused as poor Blossom, the innocent and very pregnant goat who was beat up by me for no good reason. She will never trust me again. My only saving grace was that she got her fill of raisins and feed. I think she is going to kid very soon, probably tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww. Everyone is doing their best. All the goats and kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete