Monday, June 3, 2019

Shagbark, speedwell, and special dinner

Shagbark Hickory

Hickory close-up
Germander Speedwell

When walking the dogs on our property, I have plenty of time to investigate unknown plants and trees. Woody is a very leisurely walker because Mr Hound Boy has to sniff everything. If he finds something interesting, he will circle the area repeatedly, dragging me along behind. Lately I have been taking pics to remind me to look up the mysterious ones.

We have always wondered about the huge nut tree but never bothered to look it up. As soon as I took a closer look at the tree itself, not just the nuts on the ground, the shaggy bark made for an easy guess, confirmed online with a search for Shagbark Hickory.

And we have no shortage of pretty weeds up here that I don't recognize. I assumed these little blue flowers were some weedy form of forget me not, but I just looked them up today and found out the 4-petalled flowers are speedwell—5 petals for forget me nots. As soon as the dandelions went to seed, these and the buttercups came in like crazy. First time I have seen so many pretty and happy weeds all at once.

Finally, we had dinner at The Horned Dorset in Leonardsville on Saturday night. We had a gift certificate from B&E for Tim's birthday that we held onto until my birthday so we could celebrate together. It was worth the wait, and worth every penny (and that was LOTS of pennies). Beautiful place, beautiful food, beautiful evening.

Asparagus vichyssoise with shrimp
Veal medallions with fried local egg and foie gras

No comments:

Post a Comment