Sunday, October 6, 2019

Frost, fog, a new fence and frogs

We had our first frost of the season on Friday night, which made for a very foggy Saturday morning. You could see the moisture in the air. It looked like rain coming down, but as a very fine mist.

Even though I covered my heirloom tomatoes with blankets, the frost did enough damage that I think they are done. I did manage to save about a half dozen that were mostly ripe, and I left the green ones out there to see what happens. I have not had much luck ripening green tomatoes indoors, and there is no predicted frost for this coming week.

What is predicted for this week is the installation of our new improved dog fence. I call it a dog fence, but it serves a larger purpose—keeping the critters out so that I can have a larger space for gardening. I am also planning a firepit, and patio and/or deck inside the fence, but that won't happen any time soon.

Bart the Handyman dropped off the fencing materials last week with a bit of help from his 2YO son Beckett AKA Bucket. Out there in his diaper and bare feet, he helped Pops unload the truck. He will need warmer attire if he returns. :)

Pre-frost, when the garden was still looking lush, I happened to hear something fall or jump from the porch railing when I let the dogs out in the evening. I thought it was a spring peeper (in Fall?) but when I saw this photo enlarged, I realized there are 2 peepers, oddly hanging out together.


No comments:

Post a Comment