Monday, November 18, 2019

Some cold chicks and the Herkimer Creek

I signed up The Husband, myself, and friend Erin for The Stream Team, sponsored locally by the Otsego County Conservation Association, and by a group in PA called Alliance for Aquatic Resource Monitoring. Volunteer teams are recruited to assess water quality, in our case in the Herkimer Creek that runs through our property. Once a month, even in winter, we collect samples which are taken back to the nice warm house/chemistry lab. We make quite the comical group of scientists, but so far are enjoying the process. Erin was the brave one to go into the cold creek yesterday. Husband: it's your turn in December!
The other cold chicks from yesterday (besides Erin and me) are the 4 that have been hanging out in our basement since being hatched in September. They probably should have gone outside sooner, but by the time they were are all feathered out, a cold snap came through. I was worried about sending them from the 65° basement out to where it was in the single digits sometimes at night. This week is looking a bit warmer, and they were getting rambunctious in the box downstairs.

For now, until I see how they are doing, they are in an even smaller box next to the garage where I have a heat lamp on them, and the box is insulated with hay bales around it. I just know the larger one in the front is a rooster. I have some concerns that the other 3 are as well, but only time will tell. For the moment they are still "peepers"—still making that baby chick sound. When they start crowing like a roo, I will start crying...

UPDATE: Posted this yesterday. Today Big Blondie started crowing. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment