Saturday, June 30, 2018

June slacker



I have been quite lazy about posting this month, so, on this last day in June I am going to give you a little bit of everything from all my recent (not so great) photos.

First, I am both happy and sad to report that we sold Johnny Cash today. He is the black alpine featured in the top photo with Rita and her 2 kids looking on. He was a great goat, and probably the friendliest we have ever had. Bucks just don't last too long here if we can find them a new home where they aren't going to be eaten.

It was coincidental that Larry, who bought Johnny, was the same Larry that we bought the big wooden crate from about a month ago. At least we know he will give him a good home with other goats for him to hang out with. Thanks, Larry.

Next is 1 of the 2 little deer bucks who have been hanging around here. They, with the help of Cyrus, woke us up at 5:16 a.m., eating my flowers in the big blue pots by the metal bench. Here he is eating some low-growing apples by the side of our house. We have a lot of apple trees, but I will be surprised if there are any apples left for me by picking time.

They will probably stick around for most of today because the very noisy Schuyler Lake Truck Pull is going on right next door. And the neighbor on the other side of our property is haying his field. I hate to think of what will happen to all the little fawns trying to hide in the tall grass.

The last pic is one of our 2 German Bielefelder hens who decided she wanted to sit on some eggs last week. If she makes it through to hatching them, we should see some chicks around July 12. But I don't have much hope of seeing any because she left the box yesterday and took up residence in the box next door. I think she was off the eggs for most of the day, but it was fairly warm so maybe they will survive. I moved them over underneath her much to her dismay.

No comments:

Post a Comment