Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Was 4, now 5 chickies!



The Black Australorp hen was the charm. She right away was convinced these were her chicks, and the same day that I put her in there, she hatched one of the eggs that I moved over with her. (One of the eggs that I was sure would not hatch.) So now we have 5 little ones in with a momma who cares for them.

Update Thursday, July 26:

With the sun shining, I got some better photos today. Mom has been very patient stuck in the crate with the 5 little ones crawling on her back and flitting around while she is still trying to hatch the last 3 eggs in with her.

After all the confusion of moving hens and eggs, I have no idea how old the eggs are or if any more will hatch. Maybe by the weekend I can move the crate on the floor and leave the door open. It's just a bit difficult for her to hatch eggs and watch the little monsters at the same time. Better that they are contained for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment