Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Short summer



Summer always seems too short, but this year especially so. Warm weather was late in coming. Now, in August, just as we are getting some of that hot humid stuff that makes me feel like I am back in NJ, we see just a few leaves changing color, and it dips back into the 50°s at night. Still plenty of summer left to enjoy, but hints that fall is on the way.

Big weeds are not acceptable in suburbia, but I love this time of year when it looks like a jungle out there. I spent some time this weekend clearing those weeds around the metal bench to make room for the enlarged dog fence. Aside from giving the dogs more space to run, I hope it will keep the deer and other critters from munching on my flowers and young trees.

Sadly it will also keep my chickens out of view. No chickens allowed in the dog fence where they would quickly become dinner for Killer Dog and his helper Woody.

I sold 6 of the baby chickens last week. I kept 3 of the young ones: 1 gray one and the red twins. Big Roo still watches over all of his girls, even the new ones. He's a good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment