Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Growing like weeds

The baby chicks are now the teenagers. I love this awkward coming of age stage. Little boys are sparring like big boys do sometimes. Little girls are staying close to mom and each other. (Guess which 2 I think are the roosters?)

My first year of protected gardens inside the big fence was hampered by my old-fart knee. I did manage to plant some heirloom variety tomatoes behind the weeds and flowers by the living room windows, but the Zebrina hollyhocks and Rudbeckia are winning the battle so far. The tomato plants have blossoms and some small green attempts at tomatoes, but they are struggling for the sun behind their taller neighbors. I will learn from my mistakes and do better next year with a better knee by then I am sure.

The Husband's gardens are doing much better inside their improved fencing. We have a huge crop of large tomatoes, and are starting to get some corn for the first time in about 3 years. But his perennial gardens have been struggling with the critter dining and the rough weather and those darn weeds.

The zinnias in the feeding trough, however, are spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment