Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Solved 1 problem, but still the fox

Buying the fancy ($$$) new Omlet coop has solved the problem of what to do with the 8 growing chickens who spent their first 2 months in a dog crate in the garage. Directions said 3 hours to put it together. It took 3 days, and that with help on the first day from good friend, Tom.

Chickies didn't understand that they were supposed to actually go inside the little green house. They spent the first night roosting on the wood post in front of the open door, but last night when I got home late, they were all inside and I was able to close the door. It probably helped that it was a rainy day.

Before I had let the teenagers out of the garage (the new coop is in the boxes on the porch) I set up the trail camera to see if Foxy was watching them. Indeed she was. The dark picture is from 4:36 am on Friday. She is walking between the garage and the front porch of our house. 

Then, we went out Sunday night around 6 pm and were lucky to close up the chickens in the big coop before we left. I am pretty sure that is Foxy and a kit walking past the oak tree right beside the driveway near the big coop at 8:18 pm.

The new coop is supposed to be secure enough to keep out the critters. I am setting up the trail cam out there to see what happens in the night, and it is very close to the house so I can watch out for them during the day.

So that problem is solved, I hope, for the 8 new chickens. Now I just have to get back to work on the fencing out front, so I can bring home my 4 laying hens vacationing with Terry and Alice. (Thanks for the dozen eggs T&A!) 

Broody Hen, who has 4 babies, is probably going to move into the garage until we figure out the big coop and fence. Obviously Foxy and friends are still interested. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment