Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Home, home on the range



I wanted to wait until I got the article in the newspapers before I broke the news about the rodeo that took place here on Sunday morning.

A total of 7 cows got loose from a nearby farm about a month ago. Two of them have been roaming around Don on the Hill's hill, which means they were most likely on our property as well. With the creek for water and plenty of weeds for forage, they landed in a sweet spot.

The owners hired some New York cowboys to come and round them up. I heard when the first bunch came out a week or so ago that they were wearing chaps and spurs, but these 3 looked pretty casual in their jeans and baseball hats.

Of course they showed up when I was back at the house, even though I had waited in the Firemen's Field for over an hour. Friend Erin took that first shot while I was making a nice cup of tea back at the house.

It took a few hours of searching our property before they figured out that the 2 young heifers were hiding exactly where Don said they were, in the swamp at the bottom of his driveway. They caught the first one fairly easily, but her sister managed to escape the 3 dogs and 3 men on 3 horses. Magically, she found her way home all by herself the next day. I guess she missed little sister.

Nice story for our little local newspaper that is struggling with no editor and no reporters—just 3 tough ladies who work really hard putting out a paper every week.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Kathy. Keep up the good work😉

    ReplyDelete