Thursday, January 12, 2023

Kids and kids and bird mates

We knew there were kids on the way, but we never know for certain when they will arrive.

White mom Susan gave us 2 yesterday. The brown one is a girl, not sure about the white kid. And red mom Lizzie gave us 2 boy kids today. I just love the black stripe on the little white guy!

For 2 days in a row, I was surprised to catch both ladies in the act of kidding when I stopped in to feed them at lunchtime. Just look at their proud mama faces posing with their babies!

I was planning to post the red-bellied woodpecker story yesterday as part of my BirdBuddy series, but the goats won top billing. I have had pretty much the same cast of characters at the feeder since I installed it in October. There has only been a single female red belly from the beginning.

Then, just yesterday, this male showed up! I think she found a mate!

The female downy woodpecker was also solo for awhile when her mate was killed by some unknown predator on December 1. Only in the past week or so has another male shown up.

Even without social media, my girls are finding mates. Or maybe the boys are reading my posts.

Meanwhile, the goat ladies share their live-in mate, Walter Becker. He is very polite, and gives them privacy when they are kidding. All of the other goats have been giving them space as well, except for Jack, the old man wether. He has been checking up on his new family members, one mom in each barn.

1 comment:

  1. Love the goat’s name, Walter Becker. A Steely Dan fan?

    ReplyDelete