Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Life goes on

Woody had a rough week. He was fine last Wednesday morning, then a couple hours later he was shaking his head oddly, having problems with his back legs, and later still, not eating or barking! Not Woody at all!

A $413 vet visit on Thursday didn't really find much of anything—which is a GOOD thing for my 15YO guy with a tumor on his spleen. The x-rays did show some arthritis in his spine, which leads me to think that maybe Cyrus broadsiding him the day before might have injured him somehow?

Some drugs got him back to begging for my dinner on Thursday night, but he's still not himself. 

The day before that, I noticed that the tree swallow parents were no longer feeding their babies. When I went out to check on them, I saw mom's feathers on the ground below the birdhouse. Something must have gotten her early in the morning before I got up.

There are 3 in the photo, only the one on the left was strong enough to beg for food. I found a wildlife rehab lady who agreed to take them in. She said to give them some wet cat food mixed with water. I was able to get some into all 3 before I brought them to her. The strong one lasted a day longer than the other 2, but they could not be saved. They were too young.

The good news of this bad week is that a pair of house wrens have already claimed the house for a new nest. Life goes on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a rough week. I do rescue transports for several rabbit rescues here in South Jersey, so I see a lot of sick, unloved and abandoned furballs (and cats, guinea pigs, frogs and retiles that I transport as well). But watching my bunny, Carl, deteriorate in his later years (he lived to be almost 11) was hard. But every so often, one of my transports gets adopted, or I get to deliver a new family member (kinda like the stork), , and I realize how wonderful it all is.

    ReplyDelete