Sunday, June 4, 2023

Wildflowers, wild critters


Dame's rockets are blooming everywhere on our property. It's okay with me that they are not native, and they will have a tough time being invasive with all the goldenrod they have as competition. I think most of the goldenrod species here are solidago, native and not considered invasive.

Of course the "pretty" wildflowers in these pictures are the non-native invasive ones, the dames and the buttercups

Mother Nature is our landscaper, and we let her do as she pleases. In spite of the fact that we have had several late frosts, I think she is providing us with a good apple crop this year. Last year we had none.

The wildflower show was from my walk to the creek to pick up the trail camera. It had captured a coyote on the gravel bar before, this time it caught 2 together. Out of 98 photos, only 2 had coyotes, most of the rest had 1 or 2 deer. This one might be a young bald eagle.

I have seen a large eagle-size bird from the house back in that same area, but it is really hard to identify it from a distance. This photo isn't all that clear either, so I guess it will remain a mystery. Osprey or second-year bald eagle are my 2 best guesses.

And finally, there is no mystery as to the species of the last wild critter. But it is a very big mystery as to who is the owner of those feet. At 4:41 pm on my birthday, just hanging out by our chicken coop where the other camera is set up. Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment