Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Chickens not in the sky


The little chicks are no longer little. I haven't seen another tiny egg to know if they are laying yet, but even if they are, they spend all day out in the weeds for the shade and rain protection, so I am not sure they know how to find the nest boxes inside the coop.

At least they willingly return to the coop in the evening with the big girls now.

One of last year's youngsters decided to go broody and sit on eggs. I was just thinking that every time we buy more chicks, someone here decides to hatch a few extras. But then the broody young lady got bored (and probably hot) and left the nest after only 2 days.

Also, the other day while walking Woody, I saw this small dead bird that I couldn't recognize. Turns out it is a woodcock. The local Audubon Society confirmed the ID, and said it was probably a domestic cat that got it. Woodcocks are ground birds and won't fly until you practically step on them. I knew we had at least one around here because of the sound they make. It sounds like something electric, a long buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment