Wednesday, October 21, 2020

A creek jam and a fire jam


We don't usually get pretty sunsets in October, so we'll take this one as a gift. Glad I took the photo when I did because the color disappeared by the time I came back inside.

After all my excitement about the eagles in the backyard, I discovered the real reason for their presence when I did the stream testing for Otsego County Conservation Association on Sunday.

Just below where the creek is jammed up, on the right where I normally collect the water samples, was a recently dead young buck who appears to have been shot in the chest. It is bow-hunting season here.

The eagles showed up on Friday in the large willow which is just behind me in the creek photo. Now I know they were not interested in building another nest, just interested in a good meal. That would also explain why the crows were defending their territory, and it was probably the reason for the coyotes singing on Saturday night.

There was some other singing on Saturday afternoon as well. We had a short and chilly outdoor jam session by the firepit. A beautiful afternoon with good friends...all outdoors, only 5 people, and distant enough to be safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment