Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Sittin' time and critter wars

I got those 2 new chairs just in time for sitting outside and watching the perfect sunsets with a glass of wine and the birds singing all around me. We had a week or so of rain, and then a week or so of beautiful weather, and then we're supposed to have a high of 46° on Friday just in time for Memorial Day weekend. You never know what you're getting up here, so live for the moment. I am required to take advantage of all the nice days! 

We added a young rooster to the flock when he got kicked out of Cooperstown for being too noisy. I had him in quarantine outside the coop after he decided he was man enough to take on Big Roo. He was safely enclosed in a fence, but something still got to him enough to yank a few tail feathers.

No more quarantine. He has been behaving in the yard and the coop ever since.

Then we lost one of our black hens a couple days ago. Just feathers left in the chicken yard. Put up the trail camera and caught the raccoon first, and then the fox 2 hours later, right outside the coop door.

I am not sure I like having a trail camera. I think I am better off not knowing what's out there, especially because there's not too much we can do about it. All critters have to eat. I just wish they wouldn't eat my chickens.

1 comment:

  1. We have had a fox in the area for some time now, I saw 1 kit up the street by it's mom, and also by a chicken coop.
    The mom has run by through our yard with a woodchuck and a baby geese.

    ReplyDelete