Friday, August 13, 2021

Climate change and gazpacho


To all of you who do not believe in global warming (you know who you are) I suggest that you might also be the ones who have air conditioning. We do not. We were told when we built the house up here that you only needed AC maybe 1 or 2 days a year, and only during the day because it is so cool at night. I have even heard stories of snowmobiling in July (really!). So it's been up around 90° the past more than 2 days, and it is humid too, just like New Jersey, where we are in the process of selling our perfectly cool air-conditioned house.

I am quite sure your AC, and ours which will be installed here on September 2, contribute to that global warming, but I am too old to live without AC anymore. After only 10 minutes picking tomatoes and garlic in the garden, I almost passed out when I came inside.

On a happier note: The Husband's tomato crop is doing much better than mine. I have been making quite a lot of gazpacho lately. My 2 favorite recipes are this one from the NY Times, and the other is for a chunky version that I saved from when I used to watch the Rachel Ray show. No link for that one, but I can copy the recipe for you. Both are simple to make.

I often tell my companions at the newspaper that food photography should be left to the professionals. I was really proud of this one, until I realized that the hot sauce drizzled on top (which is not actually in the recipe) looks like...something not quite so appetizing. You decide for yourself.

It's hard to tell in the photo that this is a cold soup for a hot day, so here is another photo for y'all. That's our cool NY house at the end of our cool NY driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment