Friday, August 20, 2021

On my way to NJ

Just a cute pic of Willie in the laundry basket...for no good reason

I am headed to New Jersey today for a last visit to my favorite old house in Palmyra. We still have to make our way through a few hurdles to get to closing in September.

As a way of saying goodbye to my favorite old house in Palmyra, I will be introducing her to her new caretakers, Zach and Krista. I am turning over all of the deed research that I did. I was able to follow the deeds back to 1833, but I am fairly certain the house was built around 1885. 

I am also giving them a little box of all the goodies I dug up in the backyard over the years. All the goodies, except I am keeping the glass marbles that Albert Heeter, as a boy, used to shoot with a slingshot at the dogs trying to get to his female collie. His brother Richard, in his 60s (?) at the time I talked to him, was still upset because they were his marbles, not Albert's.

Their mother, Mary Viola Kooker Heeter, sounds like a very interesting woman. She inherited the house in November 1920 from Agnes M. Kooker (her mother? who bought it in 1902). Mary died there August 17, 1977. Several single women have their names on these deeds including me—I bought the house in 1992. I hope we did Mary Viola and Agnes proud by taking care of their old house, and I hope they approve of the newest caretakers.


Not all these marbles were Richard's, some were mine and my brothers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment