Sunday, May 21, 2023

Big birds, little(r) birds

We got these 3 ISA Brown teenage chicks from Larissa when she decided they had too many for their little coop. We have plenty of room in our big coop, but I was a bit worried about our older hens and/or the young very fresh rooster beating up on them.

So the poor girls have been living in the big dog crate for about 10 days. I finally set them free today when only 2 of the other hens were nearby.

This will be a good test of how well the 5 Olive Eggers will do when I finally set them free from the plastic coop.

I decommissioned the BirdBuddy today. I ran out of sunflower seed, and there is plenty of other food provided by Mother Nature. I was tempted to leave it up longer when yet another species showed up yesterday—a pretty iridescent feral pigeon who came with a friend (in the background on the fence). But the pretty one wouldn't let the other one in, and he cleared out all of the remaining seed, even defending his position from the grackles.

Time to take a break. Grackles, squirrels and pigeons are the main feeders these days. The BB is not coming back until Fall. I have plenty of photos of other species to entertain you with until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment