Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A murder of chickens

The 18 remaining chickens on Sunday afternoon, all on edge, watching in every direction
Having free range chickens is a risky business—we knew that when we started with 7 pullets in 2011. After 2 of our hens successfully raised 4 chicks each, our most recent total was 20 adults and 8 chicks just a few weeks ago in August.

We have also lost quite a few hens over time to predators. An adorable Jack Russell terrier from across the street was the first killer, then a few hens disappeared without a trace, probably to a hawk, eagle or fox, then a raccoon we caught in the act, and even our own recently adopted dog managed to kill 4 hens before we knew he was a predator.

This past Friday was the worst massacre thus far—8 chickens in one afternoon. 

I saw a disturbance while walking my chicken-killer dog on the leash, but couldn't investigate until I got him back in the house. When I came back with the other dog, the chickens had all scattered and there were 2 different piles of feathers on the ground. When Woody the hound and I approached, something screamed at us from the weeds. He wanted to pull me in there to investigate but I was afraid to let him off the leash, and I certainly wasn't going in with him.

I called my neighbor across the road and he came over with a shovel. We let Woody go see what was happening in the weeds, and he came back with a dead chicken, the mother of the 4 youngest chicks. I know he didn't kill it. So now what do I do with the scattered chickens who are all over the place? They are nowhere near the coop where they close themselves up at night, and it's 2 hours before dark.

I had The Husband teach me how to use the rifle we have had for a few years, but I didn't really think I would have a chance to use it safely. This bobcat is faster than any animal I have ever seen. So I sat out there with a pitchfork as my weapon of choice and watched and waited. Finally, as it is getting darker, there is a single file of 8 or 9 chickens making their way back to the coop, but they were hesitating. I moved closer to try to convince them to come this way, but they were still reluctant. Then, about 4 feet away from me, a bobcat flies out of the weeds and takes a young chick. Without thinking I ran over to it and screamed/cursed until it ran off. The chick died in my hands. 

I knew the monster cat was still close. I called my saint of a neighbor again, and he came this time with a rifle. We tried to lure the bobcat out of the weeds by placing the dead chick near him. We could see the weeds moving as he came closer to investigate, but he changed directions when he saw us approaching. My neighbor took 9 blind shots into the weeds and it took off. I have no idea if he hit it or not. 

This second attack was all the way on the other side of the property, 500 feet or more from the first. The bobcat took off toward the creek, going in the opposite direction from that first attack. I managed to get the remaining chickens closed up in the coop, and I kept them closed up the entire next day. On Sunday I let them loose again, but went out to check on them several times. Around noon, we saw the bobcat again back on the far side where the first attacks had occurred.

So I sat all afternoon out by the coop, where the remaining 18 chickens were staying close. Luckily it was a nice sunny day for sitting. I saw no cat activity, but I also never saw the bobcat make its way from one side of the property to the other between the 2 attacks on Friday.

It is still out there.

What do I do with my scared free range chickens?

Today it is rainy and nasty again, so I am just keeping them in the coop, but I can't keep them in there forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment