Monday, September 28, 2020

Dirty pictures and old fossils

I spent what could be the last 3 nice warm days of the year out playing in the dirt. Not very playful actually, more like hard labor. The big pic is from May 28, when I had spent probably the first 3 warm days of the year digging out all of those rocks along the edges of my little garlic and tomato garden. I added some peat moss and wood ash to improve the soil. Adding more wood ash on the top later to keep out the slugs may have been what damaged the tomato plants. Or it could have been that the dug up area was only about 8" dug up. 6 tomato plants gave me about 3 ripe tomatoes, but the garlic did very well, thank you.

So I went back in and dug a little deeper, as much as my bum knee and my shovel could manage. Several hours on Saturday and Sunday, and part of a Monday morning gave birth to the latest collection of rocks along the fence on the left (below). Those, plus the 2 big muddy chunks added to the firepit.

You might notice that the firepit has been dug out in the center by a certain big old hound dog. Took him about 3 minutes to go 8" deep. I wish I could employ him to do some gardening for me.

You might also notice the variety of rocks we've been digging up. These in the firepit are not all from our property, but most are. There are some that are vaguely red, some almost blue, and plenty of white—all very patriotic in this election year.

The white one in the back with the grumpy fossil face is representative of this old fossil and how she feels about this upcoming election.




No comments:

Post a Comment