Saturday, September 19, 2020

First Frost


Good thing I covered up my little green tomatoes yesterday, we woke up this morning to our first frost. I haven't even uncovered them yet to see if they survived because it is still pretty chilly out there. I think the black plastic trash bags plus dog towel and dog blanket were enough to keep them warm, but we have 2 more nights of chill before the weather settles down again. And that won't last more than a few days.

Middle Sister turned me onto a book called Braiding Sweetgrass, by Robin Wall Kimmerer. I am just at the point where the author was talking about the color combination of asters and goldenrod in September. This is a combination I have always appreciated as well. It is such a pleasure to be allowed to have "weeds" in our yard up here. I couldn't get away with this in NJ.

Also a good thing that I took some pics yesterday of these pretty weeds. Today the goldenrod is a bit more brown. Very soon, brown will be the dominant color in the landscape. We have to appreciate the other colors while they last!

1 comment:

  1. I, too, like these colors...reminiscent of Easter, and yet not! We have goldenrod and 20 days ago planted purple asters. We’re coming close to a frost tonight, so we’ll see what survives, or not!����‍♀️

    ReplyDelete