Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Uncle Al

As I said in my last post, it is quite the coincidence that I found some NJ cousins up here on Canadarago Lake, just about 2 miles from our property in Schuyler Lake (former name of the same lake).

Diane, one of my cousins, gave me this large photo of the Keenan side of the family in 1951. Mary Keenan, on the right on the couch, is my Irish grandmother's sister. Her husband Hugh (standing, right) I think we used to call Uncle Huey, but that was so many years ago.

Far left is Uncle Al, who married one of Hugh's sisters, Ella, seated with the dog in her lap. This photo taken at their home in Orange, NJ. Are ya still with me? Here's the tricky part, the second coincidence. When my grandmother was in her 90s, she started dating Uncle Al. Ella had passed years before. He even proposed to her, although she turned him down. He was either an antiques dealer, or just a collector, and he gave her many gifts. She passed a few of them along to me. And there it is, over Al's shoulder, the framed needlepoint Grandma gave me a long time ago.

I can see that I have hung it incorrectly. Not sure if I will make it historically correct...

No comments:

Post a Comment