Thursday, July 2, 2020

Life and death on the farm


Having just lost Little Roo to what I think was a mink, and having the mink still out there probably waiting to make a second raid on my chickens, I was relieved today to find that the broody hen in the coop hatched her first little chick. I need to move her from her second floor nesting box to the crate we prepared for her and the little ones on the floor. Once they start hatching and exploring, there is no way she will be able to keep them in this tiny box 5 feet off the floor that is meant for egg-laying, not child-rearing.

She is giving me the Mom Stink-Eye in this pic. Moving her will not be easy...

I set a HavaHart trap for the mystery marauder who is most likely a mink. It says they are very smart and hard to capture, but I have no other choice except to try this, or tell the Hub to sit out there all day with the rifle. He doesn't sit. That won't happen.

The other good news is that my very fragrant Munstead Wood English rose bloomed this week too. Even though Old Fartknee has been neglecting her, even surrounded by weeds blocking most of the sun, she still managed to put on a show for me. Thank you Rosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment