Sunday, July 12, 2020

Sunday bath for the kids



I spent far too much time yesterday "overthinking my chickens" according to The Husband. They had escaped their enclosure and were out and about with mom in the morning when he opened the coop door. I spent a hot and steamy afternoon scooping out the dirty hay on the floor, and then made a nice new fenced in portion of the coop for them to play in. One of our older hens, Miles, even jumped in with them and gave it the thumbs(?) up.

Hub goes back about 2 hours later and they had escaped again, with Mom. So as of today they are free range chicks just like the adults. Not my ideal way to care for those stubborn little bits! Mom didn't seem to mind.

Then I go out this afternoon and can't find them anywhere! Finally Miles pointed them out in the doghouse taking their Sunday baths with Mom. Miles must be Mom #2. She is often hanging around keeping an eye on them.

Also, I gave 3 of our fertile eggs to Larissa for her hen that went broody. At least 2 of them hatched today. Once they stop being adorable, she has promised to return them. That would up our total to 27 if all 3 hatch. I believe that's a new high for us, but sadly, the numbers are always changing. That's the price they pay for being free range.

No comments:

Post a Comment