Monday, March 6, 2023

A bird obsession: Part 4—Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers

On a day when I have had to repeatedly chase not one, but two squirrels from the feeder, I am going to focus on cute little birdie pictures to take my mind off the varmints. There's just no good way to put a squirrel baffle on a tree...and I can't put the feeder inside the dog fence where I want it, because it's not close enough to the WiFi signal.

If you have ever seen these cute little woodpeckers before, you will know how hard it is to distinguish one from the other.

These top 3 photos are of a male downy woodpecker. They are a bit smaller than the hairy guys, and the beak is smaller as well. The bottom three are of a female hairy woodpecker.

I was first able to tell the difference when  I saw one of each at my other feeder, pre-BirdBuddy. There is a noticeable size difference, but only if you can see them together.

Now that I have the magic camera, I can actually see the difference in beak size. Not much chance I would have noticed that otherwise.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment