Thursday, July 15, 2010

War and whimsy

1:19 p.m.
Squirrel number 3 (in photo)

The Squirrel War continues. When there are only tomatoes in the trap, they don't bother, but when I add my little peanut butter sandwich, yum yum yum! Problem is, then I don't know if I am just attracting other squirrels from other places with those aromatic little treats.

I saw number 4 out there nervously nosing around, but I let Lester out to chase him rather than have to do my transport routine again only minutes after number 3.

3:42 p.m.
Squirrel number 4 awaiting transport
Not loving this squirrel bus routine...

3:49 p.m.
Sorry to say I think #4 was half-expired. At the most he was in the cage for 45 minutes. I transported him anyway hoping it was just a mild case of heat stroke/panic attack.

4:30 p.m.
Reloaded trap with a cracker only, no PB or tomato. Just when I think I'm making progress, I come back to see 2 of them running up the tree...

6:19 p.m.
Squirrel number 5
While releasing in my favorite location, I notice that #4 is, indeed, history.

Did not load the trap on return.

My dear friend J did a search on "squirrels eating tomatoes" for me. Seems to be a very common problem with no easy solution. Funny that in 20 years of tomato gardens, this is the first year that I lost more than maybe 2 or 3 tomatoes in a season. The only answers that seem to work for everybody are trapping or shooting the ornery little critters. Since I don't own a gun and wouldn't shoot them if I did, Hav-A-Heart will be my only defense, that and my genetic stubbornness.

As for the house: we are running out of loan money. That must mean we really are almost done. Jim the Builder says the guys are coming back next week to finish up the garage. Richie did the remaining pieces of porch brackets (otherwise known as whimsy) but from what I can tell in The Husband's cellphone pic, some pieces of the formerly missing pieces are still missing.

Further reports from The Husband confirm that everything inside the house is done except for some minor paint touch-ups and installing a last piece or 2 of baseboard in the basement. Oh yeah, and there are some mysterious leaks in the basement that need to be checked out...but by whom?

Good news...we got our Certificate of Occupancy in the mail yesterday! Yay!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment