Thursday, September 1, 2011

The guilty party...or at least one of them

My sweetest chicken of all, the friendly one who always greets me at the door, the one who sticks around for company even when I am not bringing treats, the one who always lets me pet her and pick her up—SHE is eating the eggs!

Yesterday I spent very little time with the girls, and only got 3 eggs because of my neglect. Usually we get 5 or 6 eggs from our 7 hens, and there was some evidence of broken eggs in the nest boxes. So today, I waited while Sweetie and Big Mama were both in a box. Ahhh, the miracle of life (sorta). As soon as the eggs appear in the box, they both flip their heads around and look for it. I didn't wait long enough to see if they were going to eat it, but I think I know what the outcome would have been. Not my Sweetie! How could you do this to me!

I came back again later and watched while another black girl and another red one were laying, and they did not seem interested in eating their own eggs, but I also didn't give them much time to think about it.

Bad, bad girls. Just what am I going to do with you? We aren't getting enough eggs to sell, but we have been fairly successful in giving them away for free. We always have at least a dozen or 2 in the fridge, no matter how many we eat, and no, I am not tired of eating eggs yet. Just wait till we get those pigs, then we can really have a farm-fresh country breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment