Saturday, July 2, 2011

Chickens and yard sale and goats


All seven of us are still here...but we're not sure we remember who that woman is.

The Chicken Girls are still hanging in there, although they gave me the evil eye when I first went in to see them. It had been a good 3 weeks since I had visited the Chicken Shack. They are noticeably bigger, and definitely more willing to venture outdoors. We have an old car roof that we dragged from the back 40 to give them some shade, and I think that helped to lure them out there. Still no eggs though. They should start laying in the next week or 2.

I am making some progress in unpacking. I already had some things loaded up and labeled for a yard sale, so I added a few pieces of furniture we had bought for The Dump, and had a little unadvertised sale today. It was a picture-perfect day for sitting on the front 40 and reading a book (Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan).  I made a measly $15.50, but it was a nice relaxing day. I extended the sale an hour or so just so I could finish the book.

My first customer today was a woman who said she started with only 6 chickens, and now she has 80. She offered us a very nice rooster for free. (Do we dare? How long before our chicken population increases?) She was also proud to talk about her 2 goat girls. I am still in goat denial, but The Husband could convince me any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment